Press Room

Audubon Dakota Expands Prairie Management Toolbox to the Red River Valley

Financial and technical assistance available for tree removal, grazing infrastructure, and other grassland improvements on Monarch Core Areas

Audubon Dakota expands its Prairie Management Toolbox program to sixteen counties in the Red River Valley through the Monarch Core Area Prairie Management Toolbox, funded by the North Dakota Industrial Commission’s Outdoor Heritage Fund. The program provides financial and technical assistance to increase the resiliency and biodiversity of existing grassland acres for the benefit of grassland birds and wildlife, with an emphasis on declining pollinator species such as the Monarch Butterfly. 

Financial assistance will be available for 60% of perimeter and cross-fencing costs for producers looking to improve rotational grazing on their property. For those interested in invasive tree removal, specifically Russian olive and Siberian elm, the program will pay 90% of the cost with the landowner responsible for long-term maintenance and the remaining 10%. Additionally, grassland rejuvenation by inter-seeding a high-diversity native seed mix will be covered 100% with a focus on small sites where landowners are responsible for site preparation and grassland maintenance.  

Audubon will collaborate with enrolled producers to develop a habitat management plan to outline management priorities and strategies to achieve range and habitat goals. This technical assistance also includes resource surveys conducted by Audubon to evaluate management goals related to increasing native plant, bird, and pollinator diversity. All enrolled acres will have 10-year term protection established. 

Counties eligible include Cavalier, Pembina, Ramsey, Walsh, Nelson, Grand Forks, Griggs, Steele, Traill, Barnes, Cass, Lamoure, Ransom, Dickey, Sargent, and Richland. 

To see if you qualify, please contact Julianna Bosmoe, Senior Range Ecologist at Julianna.bosmoe@audubon.org or 605-290-2571. 

How you can help, right now